dwm capital projects contract management - december 2020
DWM Capital Projects Contract Management
Released: December 2020
Download the Full Report here
Download the Highlights Page here
We undertook this audit to review controls over the management of capital projects in the Department of Watershed Management and to assess whether those controls were followed.
Our recommendations to the Capital Projects Management Division are to address minor gaps in control and to update controls to reflect current practice.
- The Department of Watershed Management has developed a mature PDS (project delivery system) to describe detailed policies and procedures that follow best practices for capital project management.
- The Department of Watershed Management has established controls that address most capital project risks.
- Minor gaps in controls over cost, schedule, reporting, safety, and quality management were identified.
- While the PDS is a mature system of internal control following most industry best practices, controls must be actually implemented in order to have the desired effect on risks.
- The e-Builder program management information solution contains an important suite of controls used by staff to manage projects.