APD fleet acquisition and maintenance - September 2019
APD Fleet Acquisition and Maintenance
Released September 2019
Download the Full Report here
We conducted this audit of the Atlanta Police Department's vehicles pursuant to a City Council request regarding the status of replacement vehicles authorized for purchase in a 2018 city ordinance. Concerns were also raised regarding the condition of police vehicles, as well as turnaround times for repair and maintenance of existing vehicles.
- As of May 31, 2019, of 88 vehicles authorized for purchase under Ordinance No. 18-O-1315, the Atlanta Police Department had ordered 80 and received 60 vehicles, using $3.6 million of the $3.8 million funding allowance.
- 51 vehicles were in service within the expected 160 days, 9 were received after the deadline, and 20 had not been delivered but were still within the order period.
- The Atlanta Police Department has been unable to replace its aging fleet at the same rate vehicles reach the end of the life cycle.
- Of the over 1,000 active vehicles in the fleet, most have surpassed their life cycles or have undergone extensive repairs due to accident damage.
- The Office of Fleet Services' median time to complete repairs for police vehicles was a little more than one day; preventive maintenance was completed in less than a day between January 1, 2018, and June 4, 2019.