Atlanta police department body-worn cameras - december 2018
Atlanta Police Department Body-Worn Cameras
Released December 2018
Download the Full Report here
Download highlights here
We undertook this audit because body-worn cameras enhance the transparency and accountability of interactions between citizens and the police. The chief of police requested we conduct a performance audit to assess compliance with the department's body-worn camera policy and recommend metrics for monitoring program compliance.
- Officers assigned body-worn cameras captured video for 33% of officer-dispatched calls from November 2017 to May 2018.
- Officers also delayed activation and prematurely deactivated the body-worn cameras for many incidents.
- Officers uploaded 74% of videos according to the department's procedures within one day of the date they were recorded.
- Officers also categorized almost all videos but could improve accuracy of categories assigned.
- Compliance staff are not reviewing videos as required to monitor compliance with camera policies and ensure video footage is not prematurely deleted.