2008 General Fund Budget Review - April 2008
2008 General Fund Budget Review
Released April 2008
Download the Full Report here
Download highlights here
The mayor and chief financial officer
projected in January 2008 that the city will face a $70M shortfall by the end of the fiscal year. The City Council passed Resolution 08-R-0186 requesting a performance audit of the City of Atlanta 2008 general fund budget process.
- Charter provisions dating from 1937 make revenue anticipations artificially low.
- The city has budgeted more carry-forward than it ended up with at the close of the year.
- Budget variances did not identify the impending shortfall because the city received more revenue than projected and spent less than budgeted in fiscal years 2002 through 2005
- The city overspent its budget in the first six months of 2006 (the transition period to a new fiscal year) and in fiscal year 2007 (July 1, 2006 – June 30, 2007).
- The city had budgeted to use to $64.6M carry-forward from FY 2007 in the FY 2008 budget, but had less than $1M cash available when the FY 2007 books were closed.